2019 Martin Luther King Jr Peace Walk and Parade
2018 Ward 8 Christmas Toy Drive
Progressive Fire Fighters Association of Washington DC
The Progressive Fire Fighters Association was established to create a liaison between our Black Brothers and Sisters within the District of Columbia, to collect and evaluate data on all deleterious conditions incumbent in all areas where minorities exist, and to compile information concerning the injustices that exist in the working conditions in the Fire Service, and implement action to correct them. To promote interracial progress throughout the Fire Service; and to see that competent Blacks are recruited and employed as firefighters, wherever they reside, and to aid in motivating our Black Brothers and Sisters to seek advancement to elevated ranks throughout the Fire Service.
Our Vision is:
- That all ranks and divisions of the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department reflect the ethnic and gender make up of the District of Columbia.
- Transparency of all promotional processes, duty and positional assignments, and disciplinary processes for all ranks and divisions of the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department.
- For persons of all socioeconomic backgrounds within our community to have the real opportunity to pursue careers in the fire service.
Benefits of being a Member of the Progressive Firefighters Association of Washington DC:
- Between Active DC Fire and EMS Employees
- Retired DC Fire and EMS Employees
- Firefighters Worldwide
- The Community
- Access to Professional Fire Service Networking
- Fraternal Associations worldwide
- Discounts on Services and Products
- Leadership, Professional Development, and Organizational Structure Training
- Cultural Education, Fellowship, Collaboration, and Edification
- Business Networking
- Access to lobby at the National Level with Professional Organizations
EVENTS COMING UP!
SER Spring Conference
In Jackson, MS
May 1ST – 5TH, 2019
The spring Conference will be hosted at the Hilton Garden Inn Jackson, MS. SER Members have a Rate of $119.00 per night. Call 877-782-9444 for reservations. Your Code Number is “IABPFF”.
TRIBUTE TO A BLACK FIREMAN
I HEARD THE ENGINE’S CLANGING GONGS,
A BLOCK OR TWO AWAY.
AND THEN I SAW THE RANGING FIRE,
DARK SMOKE AND WATER SPRAY.
I SAW THE SHINY LADDER
AS IT REACHED UP TO THE WALL.
AND THEN I SAW HIM CLIMBING,
CLIMBING UPWARD, TOWARD THE CALL
HIS BLACK HANDS GRIPPED THE LADDER
WHICH HE CLIMBED WITH SURED PACE
THE SMOKE ENGULFED HIS BODY
FLAMES DANCED ABOUT HIS FACE
“I CAN’T HOLD ON ! PLEASE HELP ME!”
A YOUTHFUL VOICE, A PLEADING CRY.
“HOLD ON ! HOLD ON ! I’M COMING!’
WAS HIS FIRM ASSURED REPLY?
THE ROOF BEGAN TO CRUMBLE,
THE BUILDINGS’ END WAS NEAR.
THOSE BELOW BEGAN TO SCTTER
AT THE SOUND WHICH FILLED THEIR EARS.
HAS DARK FACE WAS GRIPPED WITH HORROR.
HIS MIND WAS SEIZED BY FEAR.
AS HE REACHED THE FIREY WINDOW,
HE HEARD – “SWING THE LADDER CLEAR!”
IN THAT NEXT HEROIC MOMENT
AS I CLOSED MY EYES TO PRAY,
A BLACK HAND GRASPED THE CHILD
AND LIFTED HIM AWAY
THERE A TOP THE LADDER
CLEARLY SEEN BY EVERY EYE,
WERE THE FIREMAN AND CHILD
DARK SILHOUETTES AGAINST THE SKY.
HE WAS GRIMEY, HOT AND HAGGARD
AS HE STEPPED DOWN TO THE GROUND.
AS CHEER AROSE – HE SMILED,
BUT HE NEVER TURNED AROUND.
WHEN A REPORTER ASKED HIS NAME,
HE HEARD HIM QUIETY SAY
NO NAME PLEASE!”
“COMPARE TO THE BIGOTRY AND OTHER BARRIERS I’VE OVERCOME.
THIS WAS AN EASY DAY”
JAMES O. ROGERS, AUTHOR
PROGRESSIVE FIREFIGHTERS ASSOCIATION – WASHINGTON, D.C.